E-Mail: johnwwalton@hotmail.co.uk

Saturday 15 September 2012

Greenfields: Update

Work on my debut fiction book Greenfields in coming along nicely. I have cut a chapter away, since it slowed down the story, but even so five chapters are now complete, making me one third of the way through the first draft. I'm quite happy with the pacing so far; it starts of slow, then builds to a dramatic climax.

Of course, this is the first book in the series, whose main purpose is to introduce the main characters and set the story, so it is going to be the slowest of the series. You see, Greenfields, The Resort and Screaming Lake are three parts of one overarching storyline, with the first being the set up, the second building on the threat and the third being the dramatic conclusion. The Poison Within, Devil's Cruise and Dawning End are part of a second act to Gordon's tale, but let's not get ahead of ourselves yet.

For now, I like to think of Greenfields as a three act tale. The first third of the book is set up, the middle third is the chunk of the story and the final third is the 'best bit' in my opinion. However, there isn't a single chapter that isn't necessary to tell a compelling story. I just hope it gets published!

1 comment: